Monday, July 18, 2011

Local Inspiration - Design For Good

Great morning inspiration. And it's local for once, which was even more inspiring. People using their design and creativity powers for good. So here's to you Mr. Hawkins. You rock:

On my way back from my usual trek to the kitchen every morning for a double fisted cup of coffee and a cup of water, I saw on the table a copy for the new RSVP Magazine. The cover caught my eye because it was so clean and...fresh. Yeah, fresh.

Anyway, I stopped and started flipping through it and came across The List, a list of about 10 young professionals they feature each issue, and of course I saw the word Graphic Designer. Hooked from then on.

Featured was Winfred Hawkins, a Junior Graphic Designer at my old stomping grounds Auburn University Montgomery. Point one scored.

He uses his art for the power of good. Outside of the Rosa Parks Musuem are 10 drawings that he did starting in high school. 2 more points to you.

Plays bass for the local Montgomery band Hellakoptka of Love. 3 more points.

And finally, he is a contributor to Helicity, a local non-profit organization that is dedicated to creating postive change in Montgomery. 10 points to Gryffindor.

Read the write up in RSVP magazine here.

Anyway, it's always nice to see something about how Graphic Designers are making their impact. Are you using your powers for good? I know I'm going to strive to. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment